Saturday, December 1, 2007

The Universal Language

Have you mastered it? The universal language. Yah, the universal language!

What is it all about?

A smile. :)

Yes, i think a simple smile is a powerful tool. It is so easy to master, so easy to use, it can be done so effortlessly by everyone, any age, any race, any background...

Yet, not many people smile genuinely nowadays...
Sometimes we get angry, we get irritated so easily when strangers cut our queue, or when people makes noise, when we see rude road users...

Sometimes when i have nothing to do, i smile... I just enjoy doing so.
They say, don't stop smiling, cos' you won't know who's falling in love with your smile :)
I've tried and tested on several occasion, when i smile at people (anyone, literally!) i made them happy and i made myself happy...

I could still remember when i was back in secondary school, the Malay aunty working in the canteen looked so DULL, almost expressionless when she's busy selling the food and collecting money from the students. I thought, what the heck is that? That is so damn boring... let's make some changes...

I tried. The first time i bought a plate of mee hoon from her. Handed her the money. I SMILED at her. She stopped for a while, sort of surprised. Then, she nodded her head lightly, i could see a slight crease at the edge of her lips, as an attempt to smile.

The second time, i did exactly the same. She too, politely returned the similar response as the first day. I repeated the same thing over the next few days and in a few weeks' time. I could see the progress, rather than the slight knod and polite small upright creases beside her lips. She started smiling to me spontaneously when i smiled at her. Later, over time, whenever she sees me, she sees a friend, she looks happy and she would call me 'Ah Moi...' whenever i appear before the stall. She started the 'smiling episode' before i initiated it... :)

I tried the same thing here in Galway...i tried it on the workers at the nursing canteen. I even infected the workers at the main hospital lobby, as well as the nurses in the wards with my smile. The initial cold faces were not as cold as they used to be, somehow they appeared warm and nice to me. And that, makes life a lot more beautiful than it used to be when i'd just arrived here.

Beware! A smile is contagious... Its transmission mode surpasses the most deadly viruses, bacteria or even fungal spores... it does not need a vector or host; it does not necessarily transmit through air droplets or dead skin cells...it can transmit just by seeing the other person smile. That is just how a smile can spread and change someone's mood.

笑一笑,没什么大不了!

笑一笑,没烦恼

你今天微笑了吗?

Have you smiled today?

It's free! Try it today...it's one of mankind's greatest assets :P

Make someone's day with a nice big smile :)

2 comments:

taujin said...

i love what u wrote.. so simple, sweet yet the message, so powerful. keep smiling my dear meimei :-) and the world will smile back at you!!

hong tak said...

i agree..if everyone smiles and throws away the arrogance and sense of superioty, world will definitely become more wonderful

smile is good, laugh is greater...
WAHAHahahahaaaaa ...(like a siao-kia)
;)