Sunday, January 20, 2008

Are you a SPIRITUAL person?

I could still remember, the first time when i joined the Buddhist Society in IMU, Bukit Jalil. The advisor, Professor Hla (a very nice teacher from Burma), asked us a question, "Are you a spiritual person?"


And, being spiritual, does it mean that you are very religious? Do you, believe strongly in the existence of your GOD, and hence, you pray hard and follow all the 'rules' set by a religion?


A person can be very religious, they know everything about a religion, they know the precise methods of praying, they know the actual ways to perform certain rites...but then again, are they really spiritual? In my opinion, also, a person can be very spiritual, even when they have no religion.


Up to this day, i could still not precisely define what the word 'spiritual' means. I checked up the meaning of spirituality, in Wikipedia, and there was this long explanation... which I did not fully agree with.. but i do agree with the concept that it is 'subjective'.


So, is it important to be spiritual? Yes! I do think it is an absolutely essential element in our lives. In this material world, where physical needs and enjoyment are often prioritized, i frequently doubt the existence of spirituality in people around me. I ask myself again and again sometimes, do these people connect with their "spiritual" side? I do often ask myself, "Am I in touch with my spiritual side?"

0 comments: